Sunday, January 18, 2009

Making Valentines

Yesterday, I started trying to do a little bit of artwork. It is difficult since I can't use scissors yet. I have given it a couple of tries but just am not able to squeeze the scissors.




Prior to my surgery I had signed up for a swap of Valentine cards and needed to get them complete. After a little struggle I finally finished them. I am still unable to work on anything too small due to lack of using the fingers. I love creating with silk flowers so it seemed appropriate to use them in the cards. Here is the result:













Once the outsides were completed I worked on the insides. The lace and buttons are vintage. I bought the lace at a flea market last summer and purchased the buttons from a vendor at International Quilt Houston in November. The hearts are cut from fabric and attached with a fusible web. Printed the wording for the cards on the computer. Stamped the heart and lips on the envelope with a stamp I purchased for $1.00 on clearance.














Here they are ready to mail:






Simple and fun! Hope everyone likes them!

4 comments:

Maija said...

They are beautiful cards, Marylin, but don't hurt yourself crafting!

Anonymous said...

Mom, your cards are beautiful! I love the heart on the flower. It's so open to interpretation...maybe a blossoming romance?...or a growing relationship...or everything grows with love. What a fantastic piece for someone to give as a cute little, happy Valentine or for a deep, romantic token of affection. The possibilities are endless!

Great job!

Brett

Anonymous said...

Marilyn:
Your cards are absolutely wonderful; I would love getting those in a swap. The flowers flow naturally with the hearts; the lace and buttons on the inside give them that added special touch.

I am glad that I stumbled onto your blog, what a spirit lifter it is.
Smiles,
Carlotta (one of your Art Unraveled students)

Snow Ball said...

I love your valentine cards!!!